Local Product Council – Entrepreneurial Real Estate
The Entrepreneurial Real Estate Development Council is a small group of focused senior and mid-career professionals actively engaged in the Kansas City real estate development community who regularly work on projects in the $5 to $30 million range. The council is designed to allow participants to: (a) build relationships with peers in the industry, (b) share knowledge and best-practices in a confidential environment, and (c) grow personally and professionally. This is accomplished by supporting the ULI Mission: to provide leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide.
Local Product Councils are designed to engage members based on their expertise and passion within the land use industry through topic-focused, multidisciplinary groups that meet regularly to exchange ideas, tour projects, examine industry trends, and share best practices in a collaborative and collegial manner.
Local Product Councils are member-driven and led by chair/vice-chair positions responsible for program content and agenda and supported by experienced leadership teams helping coordinate guest speakers, meeting schedules, and action items. The actions, deliverables, and/or recommendations produced by the Local Product Council are collectively decided by the members themselves.
Membership on each Local Product Council is limited and admission is determined by application. The application process is designed to ensure an engaging experience that includes diverse, multidisciplinary perspectives on each Local Product Council. If a Local Product Council is full, a wait list is created and members will be invited to join as availability opens up. At the discretion of the council co-chairs, a limited number of guests may be invited to select meetings.
ULI members who serve on a Local Product Council are expected to attend regularly to fully participate in the exchange of information and advance the goals of the Local Product Council, and understand that topics discussed within the council are confidential.
Applicants are selected based on the following criteria:
- Material participation in development projects located within the Kansas City metro ranging from $5-30 million where the sponsor’s equity is at risk;
- Degree of expertise in applicant’s primary line of business;
- Employment/engagement in the real estate industry; active past and current involvement in ULI programs and events;
- Commitment to the time required for active involvement in the program, or demonstrated commitment to the program in years’ past;
- Demonstrated high standard of professional and personal integrity;
- Past involvement with the Urban Land Institute, locally or nationally.
Acceptance to a specific council is subject to space availability and the sole discretion of the counsel Chair.
Instructions to Apply
- Using Microsoft Word, type your answers in the gray shaded boxes. The boxes will automatically expand to accommodate the length of your entry.
- After completing the form, save it as a Word document on your computer.
- Attach the Application Form and your Resume to an email and send to: KansasCity@ULI.org. You will receive an email confirmation of receipt within 48 hours.
What is expected of council members? Confidential information is shared in council meetings; therefore, each member agrees to not share any sensitive information with any person outside the council unless specifically authorized by the Chair. Members are asked to not use cell phones or computers on council day except when on break. By joining, each member agrees to present on an industry topic at least once every two years. Any member who misses two consecutive council meetings may automatically removed from the council.
What if I’m not a ULI member? Involvement with other ULI programs is encouraged and will be part of the Chair’s decision to allow admittance to the Council. If your application is accepted and you are not currently a member of ULI, you will be asked to become a member prior to attending your first council meeting.
What is the Guest Policy? Each Leadership Team member is permitted to invite one (1) guest to each council meeting. Guests do not need to be a ULI member but may only attend one council meeting unless later accepted as a council member.
How are council meetings structured? Two half-day events are scheduled; one in the Spring and one in the Fall. These consist of a number of scheduled presentations, panels, and guest speakers specifically tailored for small-scale developers.
Do I need to re-apply each year? Once accepted you do not need to reapply to the council each year, however the Chair may ask members to step down in order to maintain a diversity of disciplines and product types over time.