Mentorship Forum for Young Leaders
The Mentorship Forum is year-long professional development program designed to provide the following to Young Leader members who are under the age of 35:
- Exploration of ULI’s mission in a confidential, trusting environment of idea exchange;
- A broader understanding of all facets of the real estate environment;
- Connectivity with ULI peers and a senior-level Mentor;
- Personal and professional development.
The Forum will consist of small groups, each consisting of 4-5 Young Leader members paired with a single Mentor. Each Small Group will have an appointed Group Leader to assist the Mentor with scheduling, selecting meeting venues, making lunch arrangements/reservations, etc.
Meetings will be scheduled from September 2016 through May 2017, consisting of four individual Small Group lunch discussions (one each in Sept, Nov, Jan, Mar) and a final wrap-up event in May, 2017 involving all 2016-17 Forum participants.
100% attendance is expected. Participants are made aware of the attendance requirement at the onset of the application process and each participant’s supervisor must provide signed permission/recognition of the meetings and the attendance requirement. Group Leaders will keep track of attendance for each meeting and provide it to the Young Leader Management Committee at the conclusion of the Forum. Attendance will be taken into consideration when determining future admittance into the Forum.
There is a $100 fee to participate in the Mentorship Forum. This fee is separate from, and in addition to, your annual ULI membership dues. The all-inclusive fee covers lunch expenses for the four Small Group meetings throughout the year.
Lunches are expected to last 60 to 75 minutes. Dates and locations for the group lunches are at the discretion of the Mentor and group participants. All arrangements related to booking conference rooms, making reservations or ordering boxed lunches will be handled by the Group Leader in coordination with the Mentor. Food/drink for Small Group meetings will be ordered in advance by the Group Leader and paid by ULI using funds from the $100 participation fee, received from each participant upon acceptance into the Forum.
Applicants are selected based on the following criteria:
- ULI Young Leader Member (membership must be current at the time of application)
- Thoughtful and thorough responses on the application
- Employment/engagement in the real estate industry
- Active past and current involvement in ULI programs and events
- Commitment to the time required for active involvement in the Forum
- Demonstrated high standard of professional and personal integrity
KEY DATES & TIMELINE EXTENDED:
- August 12– Applications due
- August 19– Applicants notified of admission to the Forum
- August 26-30– Email from Mentor to respective group with invitation to the Welcome Luncheon in September
- September (date TBD)– Welcome Luncheon with all Mentor Groups
- November, January, March – Individual Small Group meetings
- June 2017– Wrap-Up Event and Kickoff Party for 2017-18 ULI Mentorship Forum
How do I apply? Download the application form and fill it out; attach the application form, your resume and a headshot photo to an email addressed to KansasCity@uli.org. (Detailed application instructions are provided on the application form.)
Do I have to be a member to apply? Yes, you must have a current ULI Young Leader membership. Not a ULI Member? Join today!
Do I have to provide a photo and/or my resume? Yes, the photo and resume will help Mentors get to know those in their group. Applications without resume and/or headshot will not be considered.
Do I really have to have my supervisor sign the last page of the application? Yes, we require that you have your supervisor sign the application to show support for participating in this program.
I am self-employed, do I have to complete the last page of the application? Yes, you will sign the form as both the applicant and the supervisor.
Can I request a particular Mentor? No, ULI will assign selected applicants to Mentors in an effort to balance and diversify each group.
When will I know if I was selected? You will be notified of acceptance no later than July 31, 2016.
Do I need to pay the $100 participation fee now? No, you will be provided instructions for paying the fee if/when you are accepted into the Forum.
Whom may I contact if I have questions?
Joy Crimmins, District Council Coordinator (816) 569-2141, email@example.com
Nick Christopher, Co-Chair, Young Leaders, Nick.Christopher@GouldEvans.com
Ferdinand Niemann, Co-Chair, Young Leaders, firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens after I’m accepted? Applicants will be notified of acceptance no later than July 31, 2016. ULI will send you an invoice for the $100 participation fee (must be paid before attending the Welcome Luncheon). Sometime during the week of Aug 17-21, you will receive an email from your assigned Mentor with an invitation to the Welcome Luncheon in September (date TBD).
FIRST MEETING (Welcome Luncheon):
- Meet your Mentor and Group Leader, as well as other Forum participants
- Brainstorm ideas/topics for subsequent individual Small Group meetings
- Set specific dates/times for Nov 2016 and Jan, Mar 2017 meetings.
- Ask Group Members if anyone would be willing to host future meetings at their office
- Explore what Group Members’ expectations are for the program