2018 Mentor Program for Young Leaders
The Mentorship Program is made up of several mentorship groups each consisting of 4 to 6 Young Leaders and one Mentor. Each mentorship group will have an appointed Group Leader to assist the Mentor with scheduling, meeting venues, topics, and lunch arrangements.
The ULI Kansas City Mentorship Program is designed to provide the following to Young Leaders:
- Exploration of ULI’s mission in a confidential, trusting environment of idea exchange;
- A broader understanding of all facets of the real estate environment;
- Connectivity with ULI Peers and Mentors;
- Personal and professional development.
Five meetings or lunches will be scheduled by each groups Group Leader from October 2018 through March 2019. Three additional combined group events organized by the YLG Management Committee will take place at the beginning, middle and end of the program year.
August 27, 2018: Applications Due
September 3, 2018: Notification of Acceptance or Declination
September 17, 2018: Applicants notified of Mentorship Group and Mentor
September 25, 2018: Kick-Off Event with all Mentorship Mentees and Mentors
October, November, December, January, February, March: Individual Group Meetings
January 24, 2019: Mid-Year Event with all Mentorship Mentees and Mentors
May 2, 2019: Year-End Event with all Mentees and Mentors
PARTICIPATION FEE: $150
The cost of participating in the Mentorship Program is $150. The program fee is directly applied to the Kick-Off Event, the Mid-Year Event, the Year-End Event, and the (5) Mentorship Group Meetings and covers the cost food, drinks and venues.
100% attendance is expected. Participants are made aware of the attendance requirement at the onset of the application process. Each Group Leader must keep track of attendance for each meeting, and provide it to the Young Leader Management Committee at the conclusion of the program. This information is important as far as determining future admittance into the program.
MENTORSHIP GROUP MEETING:
All arrangements related to the (5) mentorship group meetings are to be handled by the Group Leader in coordination with the Mentor. Food, drink, and venue for the group meetings will be ordered in advance by the Group Leader and paid for via ULI with the funds from the $150 participation fee. Lunches are expected to last 60 to 90 minutes.
Applicants are selected based on the following criteria:
- ULI Member: active membership required throughout program.
- Thoughtful and thorough responses on the application.
- Employment and Engagement in the real estate industry; active past and current involvement in ULI programs and events.
- Commitment to the time required for active involvement in the program, or demonstrated commitment to the program in years’ past.
You will be notified of your acceptance by the YLG Management Committee with an email outlining your group members, group leader, and mentor. Further details will also be provided about the Kick-Off Event. Upon acceptance you will also be requested to pay the Mentorship Program Fee of $150 by check or on-line.
- “Show and Tell” – group member presentations with Q&A about their role
- Guest Speakers – Invite a guest to share about their expertise or experiences
- Project Spotlight / Case Study from Mentor/Mentees
- The Five most Pivotal Decisions that got me where I am today
- Career Path – determining professional next steps
- Set your entire meeting schedule for October to March
- Set a precedent with your first meeting to begin on time and end on time.
- Creativity, out of the box! Engage and Task Participants
- Meet with each member individually for coffee/lunch (outside of meetings)
- Ask Group Members if anyone would be willing to host future meetings
Leah.firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Leah DiCarlo & Nick Christopher, YLG Chairs