One of the Urban Land Institute’s guiding principles is that achievement of excellence in land use practice should be recognized and rewarded. Since 1979, ULI has honored outstanding development projects in both the private and public sectors with its Global Awards for Excellence, which today is widely recognized as the development community’s most prestigious awards program. ULI Kansas City’s Developments of Distinction Awards Program, now in its sixth biennial year, is the preeminent real estate awards program in the Kansas City metro area.
ULI Kansas City’s Developments of Distinction Awards are an opportunity to recognize and celebrate projects and people in Kansas City that exemplify ULI’s mission: to provide leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide.
The Awards seek to recognize completed regional projects that demonstrate exceptional achievement of best practices in development. Each award is presented to the development project, with the developer accepting on behalf of the project. A single honorary Lifetime Achievement award is also presented to a local individual whose life exemplifies ULI’s mission and who, in addition to a lifetime commitment to real estate, has given back to the Kansas City community through demonstrated civic, charitable and philanthropic endeavors.
Nominations are open to all, not just to ULI members, and are invited from private, public and non-profit sectors.
Awards are presented to projects that are exceptional in any of the following areas:
- Resourceful use of land.
- Preservation or enhancement of environmental resources.
- Entrepreneurship or creative development in team organization and management.
- Demonstrated economic/financial success.
- Innovative design and planning features.
- Filling of a special societal or market need.
- Creative solutions to unusual or difficult obstacles to development.
- Contribution to the quality of the community’s built environment.